Thursday, January 15, 2015

My New Year's Resolution? #BootStompCancer


I've been putting this off for a very long period of time. 37 days to be exact. I didn't really know why I kept delaying putting this out there for the "general public" until recently. Part of me didn't want to make a deal about it. Part of me thought it was a little too personal to be out there on the Internet. But,  the truth is, the majority of me was still trying to accept what I had known for nearly six weeks.

You remember the big moments in your life: graduation, first love, that big promotion. For me, December 9, 2014 will forever be the day I was diagnosed with cancer. What I thought was a routine check on my swollen throat turned into the most shocking and heartbreaking day of my life.

"You have lymphoma." Those three words, uttered to me over the phone by my doctor, shook me to my core and I truthfully don't remember the next few hours.

I do know it was a lot of holding back tears and Google. It was a phone call to my father, who had already been informed by my doctor, where the two of us were holding back tears while planning how to tell my mother and the rest of our family. That night was one of the toughest; sitting in my apartment, alone, just trying to research as much as I could about what was happening to me and what was about to happen.

The next day was worse. Knowing I had to wait until close to 9 p.m. to tell my mother in Texas was torture. Before I could even get the word out, we were all in tears. Over the next few days the word got out to other family members and calls kept coming in. To be honest, it got to be overwhelming.

On December 18, as most of you know, I had my infected left tonsil and a 6.5cm mass removed from my throat. The mass was biopsied and on December 23, while sitting in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport waiting for my connecting flight home for Christmas, the results came in. Just a few short hours later I crumbled into my mothers arms at the El Paso Airport and cried.

Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma is a form of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, and a very aggressive one. Over the last three weeks I have met with multiple doctors, nurses, and oncologists about my possible treatment and what to expect in the coming future.

DLBCL can be very dangerous, especially if not treated. Fortunately, this was caught early enough where everyone I have spoken to has put my success rate between 88% and 95%. The treatment is expected to be six rounds of chemotherapy, spaced about three weeks apart. While I have not yet begun my treatment, it will start in the next few days.

We kept the official diagnosis between the immediate Heimall family through the Christmas holiday and starting slowly telling extended family on December 26. I cannot begin to thank the family and loved ones, not friends; loved ones, whom I told before tonight. While this isn't as sensitive a topic as some other life-altering moments, to be able to keep this in my circle was an added bit of comfort.

To those who are just finding out tonight, I must apologize. This was something I would rather tell someone in person, but for some that was just not possible. As you can imagine, the last two weeks since my return to New York have been pretty hectic as well.

One of the things I have read over and over is the importance of an outlet during treatment. This blog will serve as that outlet, a chance for me to keep you all updated, and an opportunity to continue writing about what I love; sports.

This will also serve as just a small platform for the importance of cancer research and early detection. My health is directly related to when this was discovered. That being said, it could have been discovered sooner but there is no time nor need for the "what-if" game.

If you feel the need to do something, I ask that it be only one thing: donate. Whether it be money, time, or positive energy, it does not matter. But please do not limit it to me. There are so many more like me, and countless more in worse shape. Non-Hodgkins lymphoma is a deadly disease, but it does not have to be. I ask that, if you can, spend some time, and maybe some money, with Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society or, one very dear to me, the HEADstrong Foundation.

For those who do not know, HEADstrong was born from a former Hofstra Men's Lacrosse player in Nick Colleluori and the collegiate lacrosse community has turned it into something bigger every single year. As a Hofstra alum with mild ties to the Men's Lacrosse program, I plan to rededicate all I do for that foundation as well as others.

The other thing I've constantly seen is the need for a positive support system. I have never been more confident that I have that. Between family, loved ones, co-workers at both Manhattan College and the Rockland Boulders, and medical personnel, I have an army of positive energy around me.

So again, spend some time in thought or prayer for those who are suffering and maybe even spend some time with them. Even if that is all you can do, you will never know how much it truly means.

As I mentioned, this will serve as a chance to constantly and consistently keep everyone updated. I am scheduled for a PET Scan at Westchester Medical Center tomorrow morning where I will be staged and a full attack plan will be designed. My chemotherapy will done at WMC and I look forward to the announcement of me being cancer free to also come from there in a matter of months.

I can't wait to get back on the air after my scan tomorrow as the Jaspers visit St. Peter's at 7 pm and continuing to be their voice on the air throughout their title defense. The same goes for the Rockland Boulders. I look forward to being in the office on a consistent basis and helping them defend their championship.

This is what I love to do and this is what is going to help get me through what will only be a mild "highlight" in my life and career. I love you all, I thank you all, and I will update you when we know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment