Saturday, January 17, 2015

#BootStompCancer Day 1: WOW! Thank you all. Thank you.


Wow. That's all I can say. The incredible outpouring of support I received yesterday was beyond overwhelming. I shouldn't be surprised, like I said before; I have an army behind me. The amount of family, co-workers, and folks I lost touch with for years who reached out to me truthfully brought me to tears. I want all of you to know how much it meant to me and to ensure you all that not a single person who called/texted/tweeted/emailed/etc. was considered a burden. It was great talking to some people I haven't spoken to in a long time. Most of all, it was heartwarming to see all of that support on a day that disappointed me more than it probably should have. Thank you. So, without further ado, the update.

I was supposed to go in for a simple PET Scan, a full body scan similar to a CAT Scan but a little more inclusive, and it turns out I was in for a lot more. The first person I met was an oncologist who went over the exact form of treatment I would be receiving, the procedures we still have to perform, and the chances for success (still at 95%!!!). When I asked her about my timeline for Friday, she told me I was to be admitted to the hospital so we could start those other procedures. After calling my bosses, helping find a replacement for Manhattan's broadcast at St. Peter's, and speaking to some family, I was shown my new "apartment".

I was admitted to the Westchester Medical Center Children's Hospital (make all the jokes you want, they have Kool-Aid here!) and began meeting my entire medical team. The reason I was placed in the Children's Hospital is because many lymphoma treatments for children are just as effective in patients in their late 20's. In fact, some studies have shown that using the pediatric method of treatment for someone my age has a 30% higher success rate than the adult method!

As multiple nurses, physicians, attendings, residents, and oncologists made their way into the room to introduce themselves, I was given a little more of an update about what was next for me. I still had to complete a CAT Scan, bone marrow biopsy, lumbar puncture (spinal tap), and port insertion before we begin chemotherapy. They were unsure when the last three would take place but I was assured the CAT Scan would happen that night and was told not to eat or drink for four hours before.

So, after not eating all morning because of my PET Scan, Mom ran down to the Au Bon Pain in the lobby (yes, Hofstra friends, I got the Mac & Cheese) to get me something to eat. At about 5:30pm I was told not to eat again because the CAT Scan would happen in a few hours. Unfortunately, that didn't happen until about 1am and the first night of sleep wasn't that great either, but the first night in a new place rarely is.

Because the CAT Scan was done so late, and because I had the brilliant timing of being admitted on the Friday before a holiday weekend, the other three procedures probably won't take place until Tuesday. At that time, I'll have the bone marrow biopsy, LP, and port all inserted while I am knocked out (Hallelujah!!). We will give the port anywhere between 24 and 48 hours to heal before we begin chemo. Then, I'll be monitored to see how my body, and the 10cm mass on the left side of my neck (I think NASA took a picture of it yesterday, it's THAT noticeable) react. All told, I'll probably be here until a week from Monday, maybe longer.

With that being said; one of the best things (and I use that term loosely) about being here is seeing some of these children. I mentioned in my first post that there are people in much worse shape than I am. These are those people. The kids here are incredible though. Some have been receiving treatment for years yet act like they are oblivious to what's going on. The highlight of my day was a little boy in his superhero mask walking around the nurses station. When they asked where he was going he simply said, "Home!". It was incredible. So please. keep them, and others like them in your thoughts and prayers as well.

While I'm here, I welcome anyone who wants to to come visit. My mother will be with me most of the time so you can come meet her if you haven't yet, or come say "Hi" if it's been awhile. Feel free to text me for visiting hours and let me know when you want to come because I'm only "limited" to two visitors at a time. If not, keep those texts/messages/tweets/emails coming. It's great talking to you all! I love you all, I thank you all, and I'll update you again when we know more!

No comments:

Post a Comment