Wednesday, January 28, 2015

#BootStompCancer Day 11: The Calm Before the Storm


How did you guys spend your blizzard? I was hanging out with my mom, Aunt Diane, and Nana (the latter of two who came down from New Hampshire on Monday) in the Westchester Medical Center getting ready for the next phase of this battle. When I left you last, there was the great news of no cancer in the bone marrow or the spinal tap. So why not continue with that?

Monday I went in for a CT Scan to check out the size of the swollen lymph nodes found in my neck, chest, and stomach. For anyone who saw me before I got admitted, the change in my neck was BEYOND visible. When the results of the CT Scan came back, it showed 60%-70% reduction in the masses! The proof was there; the small amount of chemotherapy given to me last week worked and that was all I needed to further boost my confidence.

Battle Ready!
On Tuesday, I was issued my first dose of Rituximab. For those who have never heard of this, it is a precursor drug to prepare my body for chemotherapy. According to the sheets given to me by my medical team is an "antibody that attaches to certain cancer cells & destroys the cancer cells". I was ready for another round of IV fluids. What I was not prepared for was the side effects. The feverish chills were almost too much. Within 30 minutes I was shaking, and that was with two wool blankets on. Fortunately, that subsided and I was able to handle the next four hours of infusion pretty well. 

Today was a rest day. I was disconnected from all IV fluids and allowed to roam around the hospital with my family. It was so nice to not have to worry about infusions or injections for a day and get back to a little bit of normalcy, like work (I know! I should be resting, but I love my job). I also learned what is going to happen when I do go home. Part of caring for myself includes daily injections to build up my bone marrow back to the levels needed to start the next round of chemo. I have never been that fond of needles, and I've never had to inject myself, so learning that is definitely going to be a process. Overall, it looks simple but I know I'm going to be a bit hesitant that first morning. That being said, the biggest is yet to come.

Tomorrow I begin the heaviest dose of chemotherapy. It will begin with another dose of Rituximab, as well as Vincristine, Methotrexate, and Leucovorin. These infusions will last almost nine hours and I've been warned that the side effects will be worse than what I've experienced before. I'm going to be very fatigued, and possibly very nauseous. However, I've been reassured by the wonderful staff here that they have the ability to help me through it all and that I will get through it.

More importantly, Thursday begins a stretch of four days of chemotherapy treatment. I'm going to get a different "chemo cocktail" for three days and then an injection into my spine before I can head home for the first time in more than two weeks. I don't think I can express how excited I am to get back to doing what I love and seeing all of you. I know that this is only Round One, but I feel ready to fight this disease and go the distance!

#JasperFam

Before I leave for the night, and potentially the weekend, I want to take a moment and again thank you all for the incredible support. From the Manhattan Jaspers softball team, to the HEADstrong Foundation, and of course all my family and loved ones, every day I am reminded that the fight against cancer is not a solo job. For now, as always, I ask you to donate your time/energy/money/whatever you can and keep those going through a much tougher fight than I am in your prayers. I love you all, I thank you all, and I'll update you when we have more to tell.






No comments:

Post a Comment