Wednesday, January 21, 2015

And so it begins...#BootStompCancer Day 5


Once again, I have to thank you all for the support I have been getting. From friends driving up from Baltimore to see me, old college friends bringing stuffed animals and SpongeBob playing cards, to the Manhattan softball team purchasing customized wristbands, I truly don't know what to say. I know now that while I may be uncomfortable with all the attention coming my way, it is my duty to continue to raise awareness and help the ongoing fight against non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and I thank you all for helping in that battle as well.

Now, for the update you have all been waiting for! Saturday, Sunday, and Monday were very boring days. I went in for an ultrasound on Saturday on the large mass that has been growing on the left side of my neck (almost 11cm!) to make sure that it wasn't compressing on my carotid artery and preventing blood flow. That all came back negative and I spent the next couple days just hanging out and waiting for treatment to start.

Before the chemotherapy could begin, they needed insert what is called a Port. It is essentially a central line placed on the right side of my chest underneath the skin. It helps administer fluids and drugs through an IV, while also helping draw blood without having to be constantly poked and pricked. While the port was being implanted yesterday, they also did a spinal tap and a bone marrow biopsy. As someone who has had a spinal tap before, at a younger age, I have never been so happy to be under general anesthesia.

Fresh out of surgery, still doped up!
I woke up in recovery around 4 p.m. and was taken back to my room about 5:30 p.m. to possibly begin chemotherapy. We had to wait for me to get a little more hydrated before starting so I ate and got my first dose around 12:30 a.m. this morning. I received Vincristine and Cyclophosphamide intravenously and then Prednisone in pill form. Both IV infusions took about 15 minutes each and I was done around 1:30 a.m. and went off to sleep.

Getting ready for the port to be accessed and treatment to begin
This first phase of treatment, known as "The Reduction Phase", takes about six days and includes the two chemotherapy infusions I already received as well as daily Prednisone tablets. The Reduction Phase is a lower dose of chemo than normal because the tumor cells break down rapidly and release a lot of potassium and uric acid that can be damaging to my body so they want to start slow and see how I react before hitting me with the full dose next week. I've been comparing it to a military assault. This is the small task force that clears a house and rescues a hostage before the cruise missile blows it up.

First dose of chemo done!
Today, I got some small bad news (only because I'm already going crazy five days in). They are going to give me my second dose next Tuesday and that phase, known as "The Induction Phase" lasts over five days. That means I won't be able to go home until February 2nd (Super Bowl Party in the Children's Hospital!!).

I also received a little bit of good news. The fluid drawn from my spinal tap was clear, which is a good sign that the cancer has not reached my Central Nervous System. Before we can confirm that, we need the results from the bone marrow biopsy. If that comes back negative, meaning no cancer in the bone marrow, I will be placed in Stage 3 for NHL. If it comes back positive, with cancer, that puts me in Stage 4 and the treatment is longer and more intense. I'll post those results once I get them.

For now, I ask, as always, to give. Whether it be money, time, or positive thoughts, to all those suffering from cancer, especially the children I have started to meet and see. There are times where I hear them cry and it breaks it my heart, but all is healed when I hear them laugh again. These kids are the true fighters and quickly becoming my inspiration. I love you all, I thank you all, and I will update you when I have more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment