Tuesday, February 17, 2015

#BootStompCancer Day 31...#ProjectGameday, #ProjectSuccess



OK, so quick update. I got admitted back into the hospital earlier this evening to begin round two of my chemotherapy treatment. I'm feeling really strong and am more mentally prepared for this trip than I was the first, considering I know how my body will react to the drugs. Now, I won't be in the hospital for as long as I was (I'm hoping to get out on Monday), but the delay in getting me a bed may extend a day or two. Either way, I'm ready for round two and prepared to keep fighting this thing.

Now, I wanted to take time to talk about what happened this past Friday night. I wanted to dedicate an entire post to the incredible event that took place and thank everyone who was a part of it. When Pat Collelouri of HEADstrong first contacted me, I was floored. Of course I wanted to reach out to them and ask how I could use my position and job in a mutually beneficial way. Pat was already one step ahead, as I have learned he almost always his. My idea was to hold a HEADstrong benefit with my first Manhattan broadcast back, on February 6th. Pat thought bigger and better. February 13th, against Iona, on ESPNU. So, we did our due diligence, and were rewarded with both teams donning the patented lime green HEADstrong shoelaces on national TV! Not only that, but we got both coaches to wear special lapel pins and both Sports Information Directors to wear HEADstrong ties!

HEADstrong on ESPNU!
If I'm going to effectively thank all of the people who were involved in this, that list has to start with Pat. During my first stay in the hospital, I looked forward to his phone calls and texts. His energy is infectious and his ideas only breed better ones. Pat has lived this from as close as you can, as the brother of a cancer fighter. Unfortunately, Pat lost his brother but has continued his fight, as has the rest of the Collelouri family. Throughout my first treatment, Pat would send me texts of encouragement and even pictures of Nick from his time in the hospital. Those helped me the most through my initial chemo infusions and I look forward to our continued friendship and partnership.

To Pat's parents, Pat, Sr. and Cheryl, thank you for continuing this fight. I was so honored to have you in attendance on Friday night and to fuse your family with mine. Many people can offer their support, few can offer their experience. Although she has not said it to me, I know my mother will be forever grateful to you both for sharing your experience with your son and I can ensure you that it helped to comfort her.

Heimall Family and Cheryl Collelouri of HEADstrong
To my family, you will never know how much it meant that you all could have been there that night. Yes, it was Valentine's Day weekend and I knew my dad was coming up to spend time with mom, but for my brothers to make their respective six hour trips only added to the event. Thank you.

It was Pat's suggestion, and I can't thank Manhattan SID Kevin Ross enough for agreeing to the idea. Kevin worked with both Pat and I to relay our hopes to the Manhattan administration and accommodate as much as he could. Kevin also gave me his HEADstrong tie after the game, which was too kind. To Manhattan Athletic Director Noah LeFevre, thank you for the permission to bring this wonderful cause into Draddy Gym and to the Jasper Nation. 

To Jaspers Head Coach Steve Masiello, thank you for everything. My first night in the hospital I was supposed to be in Jersey City as Manhattan took on St. Peter's. Coach called me that night to see how I was and what was going on with me. I don't know how many Division I men's basketball coaches would call their broadcaster mere hours after a win, but I'd like to think that number is high and that they would do it as quickly as Mas did. Since then, Coach has been one of my biggest supporters and his players, my Jasper brothers, have been just as big. My first night back was incredible and to see them all with those lime green shoelaces in their sneakers was really, really cool.

Probably the coolest part of the night happened mere moments before tip. Iona head coach Tim Cluess came out of the locker room, walked across the court, and came to see me. I've been the "Voice of the Jaspers" for four season now, and Coach Cluess and I never had more than a passing "Hello" prior to a game. For him to come over to me, share his support, and stories of his friends who currently battling, and beating cancer, with the family history that he has, just minutes before he has to coach his team against their arch rival ON THE ROAD no less, was one of the classiest things I've ever witnessed. My thanks go to him and Iona SID Brian Beyer for their efforts and support that night. Would have been nice if you could have let Manhattan win that night though. Just saying.

Even Iona wore green on this night!
As I mentioned before, the reason we wanted our #ProjectGameday to be this game was because it was going to be showcased nationally on ESPNU. A chance to bring HEADstrong to a whole new audience of college basketball fans. Nick Collelouri first had the idea of athletes using their notoriety to help support the cause by wearing these shoelaces. All ESPNU had to do was show the game; they didn't have to say anything about the cause or even really show it. Fortunately, Doug Sherman, the play-by-play man that night for the telecast, and I have known each other for a couple of years. When I finally made my way to press row, Doug did what every good broadcaster does: he got the story. He asked about my status, what was left for me to do, HEADstrong, and anything else he felt would be pertinent for the broadcast. Because of that, when the opportunity presented itself, he gave the foundation a great mention, and I even got a little airtime as well (which was pretty cool). After the game I had the chance to meet Malcolm Huckaby, former Boston College star and Doug's color commentator that night. We had a great talk and I look forward to continuing that friendship as well.

Not a bad look on TV...for a radio guy,,.
Now, I do have one final thank you to make, and it's a little tongue-in-cheek. Shane Richards, the junior sharp-shooter for Manhattan was kind enough to lose his shoe just one minute into the second half. That is what allowed Doug the opportunity to discuss HEADstrong and get a full two minutes of dialogue on national TV for both the foundation and myself. Sugar Shane hits another one! If you didn't get the chance to watch the broadcast, Ken Taylor and Kyle Firestine from the MAAC were kind enough to get it for me; thank you both.

HEADstrong on ESPNU

#ProjectGamedy was, and still is, a new idea to help raise funds for HEADstrong and continue the mission of Nick Collelouri, ensuring that no person fights cancer alone. We "debuted" the idea with me and the Manhattan-Iona match-up. I set a goal of $2,700 to raise before the game, and with your help we reached nearly $3,000! I can't thank all of YOU enough for being a part of this. I have constantly said that the support I have received has been more overwhelming than cancer could ever hope to be. If you still want to donate, or if you want to pledge your game, competition, or event to #ProjectGameday, I encourage you to visit www.HEADstrong.org to learn more. Teams can sign-up and do it all year long  and your donations go straight to those fighting cancer and their families.

Once again, I can't thank everyone who had a hand in this enough. If I left you off this blog, I sincerely apologize. Just know that you were part of the most incredible night of my young life. The love and support I felt was absolutely tremendous and truly reignited by desire to fight this disease and continue Nick's mission. Like I said, I'm back in the hospital for round two and ready to keep putting my boot right into the teeth of cancer! For now, as always, I ask you to keep sending your positive thoughts, prayers, and (if you can) dollars, to those who are fighting tougher fights than I am. I love you all, I thank you all, and I'll update you when we have more!


No comments:

Post a Comment